Sunday, March 6, 2011

There's nothing wrong with just a taste of what we're GOING to pay for..

After the sad news that Panic! at the Disco was losing two members back in July of '09 (Ross and Walker left the band) we were waiting to see what Mr. Urie and Mr. Smith would give us. We sat patiently during 2010, fearing the worst and seeing the The Young Veins come from the former members of Ross and Walker. But ringing in the New Year the new and improved (in my opinion) Panic! at the Disco brought us a surprise : The Ballad of Mona Lisa. While the last Album Pretty.Odd. surprised us with its mature sound as though P!ATD had grown up, this new album is proving to be a bit more fitting of the description. But this IS after all 'Just a taste'.

In the music video, we see alot of symbolism in the first scene, the church from the famed song 'I Write Sins Not Tragedies' is now coated in cobwebs and dust, and the cane and hat are left unattend. We are now attending a wake, could this be the past dying as we move forward? to bigger and better things I should think. These boys took what they had left and ran with it and they did an amazing job. This, as a fan, is the sound I missed so much. Don't get me wrong though, Pretty.Odd. was great but it felt more like a tribute to The Beatles, there wasn't any uniqueness in what it brought listeners. It was pretty and soothing but that wasn't what Panic! was about to it's original fan base. The Ballad of Mona Lisa , along with the opening scene, ties us in with what we fell in LOVE with, the circus-y, fun, and kind of odd young boys who spoke of sex, motels, drugs and love. They were the sounds of a rock/pop-punk genre that we danced to, they had all of us singing at the top of our lungs, connecting with everyone.I for one, am GLAD to have these boys back.

This song has be hungering for more, drooling at the ears to hear what Vices & Virtues has in store for us. They've caught my attention and now March 22nd cannot come fast enough.

'Say what you mean tell me I’m right and let the sun rain down on me give me a sign.'

Brendon, you were right, and this song was DEFINITELY a sign to a bright future.

No comments:

Post a Comment